The Legend

The Student News Site of Austin Preparatory School

The Legend

The Legend

The Legend

World’s Oldest Dog Bobi Rests in Peace After a Long 29 Years

On October 21st, 2023, the World’s Oldest Dog, Bobi, sadly passed away. Bobi was a purebred Rafeiro do Alentejo dog, a guardian dog who lived for an impressively long 31 years and 165 days, according to an announcement from the Guiness Book of World Records

Bobi was born in Leiria, Portugal, and was owned by Leonel Costa. Bobi had three brothers who were unfairly treated by Costa’s father. Costa’s father buried his brothers, but did not bury Bobi. According to the Smithsonian Magazine, Bobi was found hiding in a pile of logs inside of a shed. The brothers protected Bobi until the dog could open his eyes. The boys stated that they knew his father would not bury this last puppy if his eyes were open.

The former oldest dog in the world was a dog named Bluey, who spent 29 years and 160 days on earth. Bluey was an Australian cattle dog that was born and raised in Rochester, Victoria, Australia. The average Australian cattle dog usually lives for an average of 14 years. Bobi’s breed has a similar projected lifespan of 13 years. Both of these dogs have doubled their lifespan expectancy, and when comparing their similarities, it can be concluded that a natural diet and clean food is the best way to extend a dog’s lifespan. 

Costa states that “Bobi has been a warrior for all these years, only he knows how he’s been holding on, it must not be easy because the average dog’s lifespan is not that high, and if he spoke only he could explain the success.” Determining Bobi’s lifespan and overall longevity will be hard statistics to find as there are multiple factors. 

Its also noted that Bobi lived in the calm suburbs of Spain, along with a very healthy life except for one hospital scare in 2018 where Bobi had some breathing issues. Luckily, Bobi has never had another scary encounter in his life and the Costa family stated that they are grateful to only have one health issue over Bobi’s entire journey on earth.

Bobi spent most of his time with four of his cat siblings and took naps after each meal he had. Bobi’s family was quoted as saying, “We are very happy and grateful to life for allowing us, after 30 years, to have Bobi in our daily lives.”