The Legend

The Student News Site of Austin Preparatory School

The Legend

The Legend

The Legend

The History of the Syrian Civil War

On March 15th, 2011, Syria began their civil war. Since then, it has lasted a hefty twelve years through to the present day, in which it is still ongoing. It started through an uprising of unhappy citizens of Syria, angry about their high unemployment, corruption, and lack of political freedom due to their ruler, President Basher al-Assad, the son of Hafez, who passed away in 2000. Due to the increasing amount of complaints, this soon led to backlash, first from people taking precautions to defend and protect themselves, then to fight against the areas of security. All of the fighting has evolved into a civil war, and the Syrians are receiving foreign help from the United States, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Britain, France, Israel and the Netherlands. The Syrian Government is receiving help from Iran, Russia, and the Lebanese militia Hezbollah. 

Currently, our country has managed to help raise $16.8 billion for the people of Syria, and $1.1 billion in humanitarian assistance to them. Neighboring aids, such as Lebanon, Turkey and Jordan are housing over 5.3 million citizens in contribution to the war as well. As of right now, the Syrian Government has control of the major cities in Syria, but the rebels have control of the largest parts of Syria as well. Unfortunately, the war had come out to 300,000 people who have died in the conflict, eliminating 1.5% of the population. In addition to the devastating deaths, an earthquake had erupted through Turkey, and near the border of Syria adding to the losses. 

The Syrian Civil War is still active today, and it still has devastating effects. Hopefully through the help and efforts of the United States and other countries the war can come to a full close, and Syria can recover and come back to the country it once was.