Run Fast or Be Last

Eliza Martin '25, Writer

Seventeen athletes from the Austin Prep Track and Field team took their athletic competition to the national stage when attending the New Balance Indoor Nationals meet.

The high school team took part in many relays, with both boys and girls competing in the Rising Star 4×4 and SMR, and the girls additionally competing in the Rising Star 4x800m. Though they didn’t place as high up as they would have liked, the team still had outstanding performances. The girl’s 4x400m relay (Isabella Tomic ‘24, Cailin Fennessey ‘24, Sophia DiNanno ‘23, and Eliza Martin ‘25) broke their own school record with a time of 4:11.82. The girls 4x800m relay (Madi Valade ‘25, Sydney Pilla ‘23, Sophia DiNanno ‘23, and Cailin Fennessey ‘24) also demolished the school record, running a time of 9:50.06. The previous record was 10:11.50, meaning that they smashed it by a massive 21 seconds.

Along with the high schools, Austin Prep also had some young talent attending the meet. Middle schoolers Maddy Tenriero ‘27, Ava Sherry ‘27, and Victoria Mackenzie ‘28 all competed in the middle school 400m. Andi Ferry ‘27 ran in the middle school 60m dash, and Sofia Sibella ‘27 took part in the middle school long jump. It was amazing that they were able to gain experience by going to such a huge meet at their age, and it will be exciting to see how they perform in the future years of their career.

This was now the second year in Austin Prep history that they were able to send both male and female athletes to nationals. It was also the most athletes that the team has ever brought to the meet. This is further evidence that the program is continuing to grow stronger and stronger. Overall the team had a wonderful experience competing on the national level, and we can’t wait to see them do even better during the outdoor season!