The Willow Project is Approved

Getty Images for This is Zero Ho

WASHINGTON, DC – DECEMBER 02: Students and community members demand President Biden stop the Willow Project by unfurling a banner on the Ellipse outside the White House on December 02, 2022 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images for This is Zero Hour)

Davis Callaway '25, Writer

The Biden Administration just approved the controversial Alaskan Oil extraction project “Willow”. The newly passed project has sparked controversy among climate activists and others as well. The Willow Project is the biggest oil extraction reserve in the world, the area of the project is estimated to hold up to 600 million barrels of oil and at a costly price of being able to emit 9.2 million metric tons of carbon pollution each year. The controversial decision is also setting the stage for a potential challenge in court. Meanwhile, climate activists are challenging that Biden is going against his beliefs of trying to protect the climate. Protesters are already outside the White House in hopes of bringing more attention to the drill farm. 

Prior to the approval of the project, there was already so much controversy around the topic. Protesters coming from all around America were taking stands outside the White House arguing that the project shouldn’t be passed as it will harm the climate and the wildlife along with it.  Now that it is approved, people are speculating larger revolts and protests not only in Washington but all around America.