Austin Prep Seniors Travel to Walt Disney World

Sasha Callaway '23, Editor-in-Chief of 'The Legend'

Austin Prep’s class of 2023 just landed in Boston after five days spent at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The majority of the senior class made the trek to Florida on Saturday, November 12th. Meeting at Austin Prep at 2:45 am, the class joined their faculty chaperones for a long day of traveling ahead of them. 

Upon arrival in Orlando, the seniors dropped their bags at All Star: Sports Resort and headed off to Disney’s EPCOT park. Students could have unlimited roam of the park, enjoying countless rides and a diverse array of food at EPCOT’s “Eat Around the World”. After spending several hours at EPCOT, the seniors then went back to the hotel for some rest and relaxation. The class then reunited for a mass at a local church and then were sent off for a night of fun in Magic Kingdom. After almost a 21-hour day, the seniors noted that they all slept well that first night. 

Waking up on day two of the excursion, the fatigue had certainly reached the students. Many fell asleep on the bus ride to Hollywood Studios so they could have as sufficient energy for another day of walking countless miles around the parks. But after grabbing a coffee at Disney’s ‘Joffrey’s’, the seniors were ready to scream on rides like ‘The Tower of Terror’ and ‘Rock n’ Rollercoaster’. Once 2 pm hit, the seniors dispersed to the park of their choosing. 

On day three, the seniors went to Animal Kingdom and saw countless animals on the safari and experienced world-renowned attractions like ‘Avatar: Flight of Passage’. But just before leaving for the park, the class took their annual photo at the hotel. Yet unlike other years, the seniors all wore matching shirts designed by School-Wide President, Jackie Brand. To conclude this day of fun, the seniors and faculty met in EPCOT’s French Pavillion and enjoyed a class dinner. Students dined on a pier overlooking the World Showcase Lagoon. Although the main focus of this trip was class bonding, the students all agreed that the class dinner was the closest they had ever felt to each other. To conclude the night, the seniors had front-row seats to Disney’s light show over the lagoon. 

The last full day at the parks was spent relishing in the magic of Disney’s Magic Kingdom. Once again, the clock strikes two, and the seniors were released to the park of their choosing. Many took advantage of this and revisited their favorite parks, and rode their favorite rides one last time. Although they didn’t want to leave the parks, the seniors were sure to make it back to the hotel in time for curfew so their rides wouldn’t turn into a pumpkin!

As the trip concluded on the fifth day, the students woke up bright and early and headed to the airport. The seniors certainly enjoyed this once-in-a-lifetime experience, and are ready to return to school with new friendships and memories. 

Pictured Above: Students in Mr. Whalen’s AP US Government and Politics at Disney’s Presidents Hall