Austin Prep Prepares for the Nutcracker

Amelia Condon '26, Writer

The Austin Prep Nutcracker is one of the most exciting parts of the year. The idea of a magical story in the land of sweets and portraying a part in that story is thrilling. 

The story of the Nutcracker starts with a Christmas party in Vienna in the 18th century. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Stahlbaum are playing while guests arrive from all over Austria. One guest, in particular, amuses the crowd. The famous toymaker, Drosselmeyer, arrives with two life-size dolls that dance and pull the crowd in. Eventually, it is time to open presents. Drosselmeyer gifts the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stahlbaum, Clara, a toy Nutcracker. The Nutcracker is the hit of the party. Yet, Clara’s little brother, Fitz, becomes quite jealous and breaks Clara’s Nutcracker. But not to fear, Drosselmeyer is here. Drosselmeyer whips out a magic handkerchief and fixes the Nutcracker. As it starts to get late, Clara heads to sleep with her precious Nutcracker underneath a grand Christmas tree. Through the night the story evolves into a fairytale. The Nutcracker eventually evolves into a living being. He protects Clara from herds of mice and takes her through the land of sweets and guides her through a remarkable fantasy. As the story comes to an end, Clara awakens from her slumber, realizing it was all a dream. But someday she hopes she will meet him again. 

This outstanding story was originally written as a ballet. Studios and schools have evolved this ballet and are universally known throughout the world. These schools and studios have taken the show and turned it into their own. As a matter of fact, one of these schools happens to be Austin Prep. The Austin Prep students learn the Nutcracker choreography from Mrs. Pascucci-Byrne, who has been doing the Austin Nutcracker for 30 years. Ms. P is a brilliant choreographer who works with students in all grade levels to prepare them for the amazing show. In the Nutcracker, there are main leads such as Snow Queen and the Dewdrop Fairy which are cast by the choreographer. Although there are casted roles, everyone is allowed to be in the Nutcracker and will get to participate in it if they would like. However, It is vital that everyone in the dance class is in the Nutcracker since that is how they are graded for their final. But if you happen to not be in the dance course and you want to be in the Nutcracker, you can enroll in the Dance club which takes place during cougar blocks and on Friday. Students work for months working on this choreography, taking it and perfecting it and making it their best. 

The Nutcracker is a beautiful show. People from all over Massachusetts come to see their kids perform. It’s an exceptional show and opportunity for those to take. It’s an overall big hit at Austin Prep and students love performing in it. Every year the Nutcracker is amazing and Ms. P always succeeds to make it a show to remember.