The Legend

The Student News Site of Austin Preparatory School

The Legend

The Legend

The Legend

Mean Girls: From Movie to Musical

Everyone has watched the original Mean Girls film, released in 2004, with iconic cast members such as Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams. Now, 20 years later, the new Mean Girls remake movie has been released! Although the 2024 version is based more on the musical aspect, rather than the acting, there are still scenes that are irreplaceable. 

One highlight is when Damian is handing out candy canes and delivers a line that has lived rent-free in most of our heads for 20 years: “Two for you Glen Coco, you go Glen Coco!” Of course we can’t forget about the unforgettable bus scene, which still stays the same, although Cady and Regina’s fight is in the background of a song, rather than the fight being the prominent scene. Another similarity is the Burn Book. How could we forget about the controversial, friendship-ending, teacher-jailing book! The girls still introduce Cady to the book and everyone who’s in it, and Regina blames the book all on Cady. This time, instead of taping pictures of the victims to the school walls, Regina leaves the book in the middle of the hallway, trusting that the students will take photos and spread the news via social media. This shows the difference in generations.

Of course both movies can’t be identical, so here are some differences in the two films. In the 2004 version, Tina Fey plays principal Duvall, and in the remake, she plays Miss Norbury. In relation to this, in the 2004 version, there was tension between the principal and teacher. The remake displays the two teachers in a relationship, played by the same actors. Another difference is the traditional family aspect vs. the single mother trope displayed in the remake. Although this is a small detail, it changes the dynamic of the film and presents a more modern take on “stereotypical” families displayed in the original Mean Girls.

Overall, both films are iconic in their own ways, whether it be cheering on Glen Coco, or “allegedly” pushing someone in front of a bus, there can never be wrong way to present a Mean Girls movie.